Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chesnutt

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a very difficult time reading the two Chesnutt pieces for today's class. The dialogue of the black characters was hard to read for comprehension. I found myself focusing on what words they were speaking instead of what they were actually saying. When I have read this before, like in Huck Finn for example, the dialogue is around text with proper grammar. In these stories, the black character was telling a story, so it was nothing but dialogue. No other characters talking for the most part, and no narrator to frame the story while it was being told. Huck Finn has a narrator that I can understand that is telling the actually story. The actual stories being told in Chestnutt were ones I had to pick out. Eventually I got pretty much what the story was, but the effect of a good story is lost when I have to struggle to know the story. Not only did I find the dialogue hard to read, but it was offensive, though I understand that these were written in very different times. I do get offended at times when reading dialogue like this from minority characters, but I have to imagine that the author is only trying to capture what that person sounded like and blacks at the time were uneducated so it may not be far from the truth. In the end I didn't enjoy these pieces because it was such a struggle to simply read them.

2 comments:

  1. Taylor, the dialect is difficult for everyone initially. Chesnutt does use offensive words, but he is reproducing the speech of African Americans at a particular time in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the dialogue was difficult to read through, I felt that it did not really take away from the story overall. I think to view the metaphors and smaller stories within you can see that they actually were very well thought out pieces and it would be difficult to just lay those stores out ‘as is’ in a time were people would be up in arms over the topics. Yes, I agree the dialogue was difficult to get a hold of but I felt it added to the story versus taking away from it.

    ReplyDelete